Standby power has a huge impact on the environment. Also known as vampire power, leaking electricity or phantom load, standby power is wasted electrical energy consumed while products and appliances are switched off but still plugged in. These devices range from televisions, home entertainment systems, personal computers and peripherals, to space heaters, room air-conditioners and even coffee pots – all of which continue to draw power even when they are turned off. Averaging 10-15 watts per hour per device, standby power is a constant drain on people’s wallets as well as the electrical grid, resulting in a huge impact on the environment and our planet.
Here are some sobering facts about the effects of standby power:
- The amount of standby power wasted accounts for as much as 12% of all residential power; a bit lower in some countries, a bit higher in others.
- 75% of all power used by plug-in devices is wasted.
- The average US household wastes over 1,300 kWh of electricity each year. To generate that amount of electricity would require over a half-a-ton of coal or nearly 32 gallons of oil!
- The cost of standby power in the United States is $4-8 billion annually.
- Plug-in load is the fastest growing category of residential and commercial energy use in North America.
- Vampire power wasted in the U.S. is enough to meet the electricity needs of Vietnam, Peru and Greece.
An Advanced PowerStrip
is an easy, low-cost way to eliminate standby power and reduce energy bills. Most homes have at least 2 -3 TVs, so install an Advanced PowerStrip
with each TV. Apart from reducing energy waste, Advanced PowerStrips
also provides surge protection for sensitive electronics and can help extend the lifespan.